Sunday, October 19, 2014

Ever After High series by Shannon Hale

 So, my favorite author, Shannon Hale, just keeps coming out with awesome stuff. I'm such a fan of fairy tales so naturally I'm going to like a whole series based off them. This is a series based off a line of Bratz dolls. Ever After High is a school where the children of fairy tale characters come to learn how to embrace their destiny. When students come of age they sign their name in the Book of Legends, which binds them to live the story of their parent. Apple White, Snow White's daughter, is eager to sign the book and fulfill her destiny. She finds comfort in knowing that she will have her happily ever after so long as she does what is expected of her. Raven Queen, the Evil Queen's daughter, on the other hand, doesn't want her destiny. She doesn't want to be evil and wants the freedom to choose her own future. When Raven doesn't sign the book, the whole school is thrown into chaos.

In book 2, Raven's best friend Maddie, daughter of the Mad Hatter, is accused of freeing, albeit accidentally, the Jabberwock from it's prison. Raven and Apple must work together to prove her innocence to keep her from being banished from Ever After.

In book 3, the Jabberwock is free and wrecking havoc on Ever After, turning things mad and trying to make it more like Wonderland. Everyone is changed except the 3 students from Wonderland (Maddie, Lizzie Hearts [Queen of Hearts' daughter], and Kittie Cheshire) and Cedar Wood (Pinnocchio's daughter). It is up to them to defeat the Jabberwock and undo the madness with which he is trying to change Ever After.

These books are like the reading equivalent of cotton candy. Light, sweet, lots of fun, but perhaps not as much content as you might imagine. I definitely enjoyed reading them. The narration is very silly and I love the interpretation of the fairy tales manifested in the characters. Maddie is so enjoyable, and really all of the characters have something interesting about them. If I were in about 6th or 7th grade these would probably be my favorite books ever. I have to admit, it was a little embarrassing reading these books on the elliptical at the gym because each page is fringed in hot pink and purple. People might wonder at my reading abilities if I keep bringing books written for children with me... Ha, stay tuned for my next Shannon Hale book; just finished it this afternoon. Only took me about 20 minutes since it's a young children's chapter book. :)

Good reads! Even for adults. Very light-hearted and fun. Especially enjoyable for fellow fairy tale enthusiasts like myself.

4 stars

(I feel like I'm giving a lot of 4 star ratings lately, but I really think it's because I'm almost exclusively reading stuff that I know I'll like. Who wants to waste time reading books they won't enjoy?? I hope it doesn't diminish the value of my 4 star rating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment