Friday, May 11, 2012

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

This delightful book came my way from a friend in my ward. We were talking about good books to read and she gave me this one. And I do mean that she gave me this book, which is, in my opinion, quite a gift. There's nothing better than a bookshelf full of good books.

Anyway, I would describe this read as a great follow-up to Harry Potter, or A Series of Unfortunate Events, or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, or the Percy Jackson books. It's about 4 orphans who are discovered by a *mysterious* man named Mr. Benedict through a series of tests. These children all have special abilities--nothing supernatural, just special. Reynie is extremely smart and has a gift of solving complex puzzles. Sticky has a photographic memory. Kate is exceptionally resourceful and always carries around a bucket full of useful supplies, like a slingshot and a mini telescope. Constance has the gift of stubbornness, which may not seem like much, but it turns out to be lifesaving where these kids are sent. Their mission is to go undercover at a school that is training children to send subliminal messages that will brainwash society. It is incredibly dangerous and the kids must pull together to defeat Ledroptha Curtain, the evil mastermind who wants to take over the world.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story! It had good humor, an intelligent plot, and fun characters. I'm planning on reading the sequels as soon as I can get them from the library. Good read!

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment