Monday, September 13, 2010

River Secrets by Shannon Hale


Well I am on a roll this week! I read this book (like Enna Burning) in just over a day. I read most of it yesterday and then finished it on my lunch break today. It was fabulous! This book is told from Razo's point of view, which automatically makes it super fun. Razo has been the comedic relief during the first 2 books and so to have a whole story full of Razo was very exciting.

The story takes place just after the war with Tira ended. A group of soldiers is sent to Tira to accompany the Bayern ambassador to facilitate in improving Tiran-Bayern relations. Among the soldiers is Razo, who is quite possibly the worst soldier Bayern has ever seen, but he is handy with a slingshot and has a fantastic eye for details, which comes in handy later when his captain makes him a spy. Burned bodies start showing up around camp in an attempt to frame Bayern and Razo is set on figuring out who is responsible. Go Razo go!

So this was a very fun story. It was fun to get to know another land outside of Bayern, and it was nice to finally find a girl for Razo. Razo is just a great character so the whole story was just happy. I felt like there wasn't quite as much action as the other Bayern books, but enough to be satisfying, and there was a great deal more mystery and detective work!

I love love LOVE this series and am sad that I have now finished reading all the books. I hope Shannon Hale writes more of these magical stories.

4.5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Another one of my favorites Shannon wrote was Book of a Thousand Days. I was so impressed at how she added so much tension to what was essentially two girls sitting in a room for a few years doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete