Monday, September 6, 2010

Wake by Lisa McMann

This book was another tip off from Kerry's book blog. Thanks again Kerry!

Wake is about a girl named Janie who experiences other people's dreams when they are sleeping. She herself doesn't dream, but I guess she doesn't need to if she sees everyone else's dreams. This story is about Janie exploring her ability as a "dream catcher" and how to live with it. She also develops a relationship with Cabel, the only person who knows about her secret. This was a fun and easy read (I finished it in a day) and also inspired a pretty awesome/creepy dream of my own. In my dream I was being sucked into other people's dreams and each time I changed dreams I quasi woke up and was totally disoriented. Then I was at work (but it wasn't really my work) and then I was bitten by a vampire! It felt like when they stick the needle in your arm when you give blood only I felt it pretty vividly in my neck. I had given blood just a couple days before, but I'm not sure where the vampire came from since I haven't read a vampire book in probably 6 months or more. I don't remember anything else but it was a pretty strange dream, all (or at least mostly) inspired by this book! I definitely want to read the sequels.

There were a couple things I didn't like so much, mostly being the author's writing style. She used a lot of fragment sentences and after awhile it bugged me. I also felt like this was a book that was written too quickly and thus didn't have much depth. It was fun and easy but I wish there was a little more umph to it, a little more complicated, more meaningful. But as it was I did enjoy the read, and it did inspire a fun dream, and I do want to read the sequels.

3 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I feel, all, like, influential and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gonna read that book. Maybe I'll start making some real time for myself instead of grading papers all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry you are all kinds of influential!! I'm now reading the rest of the Books of Bayern, all inspired by your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete