Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

This book was recommended to me per my ward's book club list. When I started reading I realized that I have read this book before, once upon a time in my youth. I used to love Jerry Spinelli's books growing up, especially Maniac McGee. I thought his books were fun. So rereading this book was a pretty interesting experience since it's been so many years I'd forgotten most of what happened.

Stargirl is a beautiful story about a girl who, after being home schooled all her life, starts 10th grade at Mica High School in Arizona, a school where conformity is the way of life. She is unlike anyone the school has ever seen; she sings to people on her ukulele, wears pioneer dresses, and performs random acts of kindness everywhere she goes. She messes up the delicate social balance of the school and her fellow students come to hate her for who she is. The story is being told from the viewpoint of Leo, who finds himself head over heels in love with Stargirl, though he isn't always brave enough to be her boyfriend.

This was a tender story that celebrates non-conformity and I think everyone should read it. At the end Stargirl's family moves and Leo never sees her again, at least not within the 15 years of him telling the story. I like to think that Leo does meet up with her again and that he is strong enough to be proud of who she is and love her unconditionally.

Great book, especially for those who are in the insecure growing up stage of life. Every middle schooler particularly should read this book.

4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Okay so I read this book in college for a children's lit class, and at the time I felt like I related extremely closely to Stargirl and her awesome weirdness.

    Now, I'm not so sure. Especially about the part where she is an endearing though somewhat creepy stalker who spends all her time thinking about other people and their birthdays and favorite colors and stuff.

    Spinelli is a great writer of children's lit, though, don't you think?

    (I feel like a dork because I didn't add you to my blog reader; for the past few months I've just thought, "Oh, I guess Cindy hasn't been reading anything." And then I check your blog and it's like WHOAAAAAH I'm retarded. So now you are added and I will get to see your reading recommendations!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah what I meant to say was that I don't relate to her stalkerishness in remembering birthdays because I forgot it was Danny's birthday a few weeks ago and didn't remember until he told me, and it was probably the most horrifying moment ever. Don't worry, we celebrated it and had a good time, but it was still very much like, "I am the crappiest person ever."

    ReplyDelete