Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale. Can I just say that Shannon Hale is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors?? I LOVED her Books of Bayern series, and this story was just as fabulous!

Loosely based off the Brother's Grimm tale "Maid Maleen" (which I've never actually heard before...) and set in medieval Mongolia. It's written in diary format from the point of view of Dashti, the maid to Lady Saren. Dashti agrees to stay with her lady who is to be locked in a tower for 7 years as punishment for refusing to marry the man her father chose for her. Conflict, adventure, humor, and a love story ensue.

I was surprised by how much adventure there was in a story involving 2 girls locked in a tower! The writing was gripping and magical and I got lost in the words each time I read. I typically read during my hour lunch break at work, and I had a particularly hard time putting this book down at the end of my hour. Beautiful and heartwarming and satisfying read. Recommended to all!

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment