Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Secret Circle series by L. J. Smith


The Secret Circle: The Initiation and the Captive part 1, by L. J. Smith, was another book I found off Kerry's book blog. Let me just say up front that I had EXTREME difficulties putting this book (and it's sequel) down for any length of time. When I picked up this book from the library I was expecting a vampire story, probably my first impression from the cover, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was about witches! Good times.

So we start with our heroine Cassie who moves to New Salem, Massachusetts to live with her grandmother. She starts school and meets the Club, the hottest clique in school whose members are all very attractive and get away with anything. This part of the story tells about her initiation to the group and Cassie's discovery of her own witch heritage. The group discover a crystal skull which is the source of a strange and very evil darkness that they have to learn more about.

In The Secret Circle: The Captive Part 2 and the Power the group continues to learn about the crystal skull and it's dark energy. They believe the skull's power is responsible for a few recent deaths at their school. Cassie's powers and knowledge of who she is grows and she develops positive relationships with the other members of the group. Also introduced in the first book was Adam, the guy Cassie is in love with but who is also the boyfriend of her best friend Diana. A nice dose of relationship drama is spread throughout these stories.

Overall I really really enjoyed these books. Like I said I had a hard time putting them down even to go to bed at night. I read them on my lunch breaks at work, at the gym on the elliptical machine, and any spare few minutes I could find throughout the day. Any books that draw you in that much can be safely recommended to anyone. Fun reads! Just make sure you have book 2 handy when you start.

4 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Do you know where I can download this books?
    In my country, the librarys doesn`t have this books, even in english.
    I have to tell you that I`m not from U.S.A., so sorry from my bad english.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find the download of the book. please, help me, i'm crazy for this, i need to read all of them. my english isn't good, but i'm trying hard. i'm from brazil and i don't care if someone send me the book in english, i can translate using whatever i need to.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fefe,
    thanks for reading. I would recommend buying a hard copy through Amazon.com. Used copies are pretty cheap. Or you could get a digital one for kindle for about $9. Good luck!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete