Sunday, September 12, 2010

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

I definitely read this book in almost a day! Fabulous. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale is book 2 of the Books of Bayern. It takes place 2 years after The Goose Girl ends. Enna is living in the forest where she took care of her sick mother until she died. Now she lives there with her brother Leifer, who comes home one day having discovered the ability to speak to fire. War has broken out between Bayern and the neighboring country of Tira and Enna seeks out the knowledge that will enable her to speak with fire like her brother. Soon her power becomes overwhelming and Enna is unsure of how to help her country.

I loved this book! It was more serious than The Goose Girl but I love how much I grew to care about all of the characters. Whenever there was danger I was so worried that they wouldn't be ok. Although, it does help that I've read the 4th book and thus know that all of the characters I care about live at least until then... I suppose I cheated. There is also more death and war in this book, but I think the added conflict was good for the story. I didn't like this one quite as much as The Goose Girl, where the conflicts were pretty clearly defined even if you couldn't figure out how they would resolve. In Enna Burning, you knew something was wrong but weren't sure exactly who or what the enemy was, if that makes sense...

Overall, great book! Fun read. I stayed up much too late reading and could barely put it down during the day. Love this series!!!

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment