Monday, September 6, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

This book was AWESOME. Again I am tipping my hat to Kerry for the recommendation.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary E Pearson, is about 17-year-old Jenna who wakes up from an 18 month long coma. She doesn't remember the accident she was in nor can she remember anything about her life or who she is. She spends time reviewing home movies of her life to help her piece together her identity. As some memories begin to return Jenna is forced to relive the details of the accident and confront her parents about it's aftermath.

The story is set in a nearish future where medical science can do pretty much anything. What I liked most about this book is that it makes you question the ethics behind a nearly limitless scientific world. Just because you can save something or someone does it necessarily follow that you should save them? Where is the line between God and science? What is the soul? Where does it reside? Can you lose it? How do you retain your humanity when your body and brain are no longer natural but man-created? Interesting questions that we as a society may be faced with in a future that may be closer than we think. I've always thought ethical questions are fun to discuss and think about and I loved that this story made me think about things I hadn't considered before.

I also loved the writing style and how the story was told. I didn't figure out the secrets too far in advance; there were plenty of mysteries and questions right to the end. I feel like this was a book that the author put a lot of heart and energy into writing; this was no quick-written story. It was beautiful and I loved it. I recommend The Adoration of Jenna Fox to everyone.

5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I've read some gems and some crappers! This one was a gem. And I met the author this summer, actually. She's a doll. (In a good way.) xoxo.

    ReplyDelete