Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare


Is it strange how you can finish a series, look at all the covers lined up in a row, and not be able to recall what the story was?? I'm experiencing this conundrum right now. I finished book 5, City of Lost Souls, just about a week ago, and for the life of me I can't remember what happened in each book. Strange...

In any case, The Mortal Instruments series, by Cassandra Clare, was a whole lot of fun. They're making a movie of the first book, City of Bones, to be released soon. It's difficult to explain what this series was about because Clare created a richly detailed world in which to tell her story, so giving a vague summary won't do it justice.

The story starts with a girl named Clary, a seemingly normal girl who is best friends with an actually normal boy named Simon. One night Clary and Simon meet some strange people--Jace, Alec, and Isabelle, shadowhunters whose duty it is to destroy demons and protect humans. When Clary's mom is kidnapped by a powerful rogue shadowhunter, Clary discovers secrets of her past and learns that she is, by blood, a shadowhunter. She and Simon are thrown into this world of demons, vampires, werewolves, faeries, and angels and join the battle to save the world.

I think the thing I liked best about this series was that I couldn't predict ANYTHING. The only clues I had to who ends up with who were from the book covers, and the story was beyond anything I could have guessed. The character development was really good--you get to know and care about each character, which I think is monumentally important to any good story. Each book had great momentum, full of adventure and excitement, with the exception of book 4 where it got a little slow. I almost think the series would have been stronger if it ended after book 3 when a major conflict that tied books 1-3 together was resolved. Instead a few threads were left hanging to propel the series to books 4-6+ (book 6 is to be published around 2014). When I picked up the first installment at the library, I figured that since there were 5 books then the series must be complete. I probably wouldn't have started these if I had known they weren't finished yet. I absolutely hate waiting for books to come out; I lose interest if I have to wait too long.

Overall I thought these were a great read and I would definitely recommend to others.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment