Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett


So! I just read the Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. It was funny and new, but I was a little confused through out the story. Turns out this is a "middle" book. It is a "Discworld" book and there are some 37 or so books in the Discworld series. Within Discworld there are 4 books about a girl named Tiffany Aching. I think The Wee Free Men is book 2... but I'm not sure exactly. Like I said, I got a little confused.

But from what I understood from the story and the characters, The Wee Free Men is about a girl named Tiffany who lives in the country of chalk on a sheep farm. Turns out little Tiffany has the makings of a witch! The evil queen of Fairyland kidnaps Tiffany's little brother and Tiffany goes off to rescue him. Along the way she meets the Nac Mac Feegle, aka the Wee Free Men, who are 6-inch blue men who like to drink, steal, fight and speak like Scotsmen. They are definitely the funny part of the story! Together Tiffany and the Wee Free men fight their way into and through Fairyland to find her baby brother and return home. The confusing part of the story is in Fairyland because the landscape keeps changing and they keep entering these crazy dreams that I found hard to follow.

This definitely wasn't a gripping book, but it was fun and interesting enough. I have the next book in the series checked out from the library but I haven't decided if I'll read it yet.

3 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I know what you mean about Terry Pratchett. That's exactly how I felt when I picked up one of his witch books - like I had stumbled into the middle of a series and I was kind of left out. Even though I *think* they are mostly supposed to be stand alone books. But who wants to read 36 books just to get the 37th one? Sheesh.

    But there was one that I read that actually was good and stood alone; possibly because this was one of his first? I don't remember a lot about it because I read it in High School, but it's called "Mort" and I remember thinking it was hysterically funny.

    Danny's read some of Pratchett's other books.

    ReplyDelete