Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fablehaven (revisited) by Brandon Mull and comments on my rating system

I've been putting off updating my blog because I've read so much over the holiday season and I'm a little overwhelmed at writing it all down. I went to Utah for Christmas and visited with my in-laws and had a wonderful time. Unfortunately, I did not have access to the internet and thus could not stay on top of blogging about my literary adventures.

I've been wanting to reread Fablehaven for awhile now and thought that Christmas break would bee a good time for it. I'm not really going to say a whole lot about Fablehaven since I already reviewed it here. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories again and I think they still earned the 5 star rating I gave the first time through.

I was talking last night with my husband Chris about how we rate books vs movies. Chris says he rates books more harshly because of the time investment required to complete them, while movies can be finished within a matter of a couple hours. We discussed the different aspects that should go in to a book rating, like how interesting it is to you, depth, meaning, etc. We basically decided that rating books is really difficult. When I read a book like Fablehaven, which I loved and was fully engaged in throughout the story, I want to give it a top rating. But then I wonder, does Fablehaven deserve the same 5 star rating as a book like Jane Eyre or The Lord of the Rings? I'm sure many would disagree with me, but I say why not? I decided that I rate books on my blog based on how much I enjoy them. If I loved a book but can't necessarily pinpoint why I loved it so much or why academically it should be given a high rating, I think it's ok to rate it however I please.

So here's to Fablehaven and keeping it's 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment