Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

I think this is my least favorite Shannon Hale novel to date, though I still liked it well enough.

The story is about a Mormon housewife, Becky Jack, who sells a screenplay to a major movie company in Hollywood. During her meeting she happens upon her lifelong celebrity crush Felix Callahan. They have great chemistry together and quickly become best friends, nothing more, since they are both already happily married. The plot centers around the complications of having a best friend of the opposite gender.

I had a hard time getting into the story, and not because there were some blurred lines of morality (in my opinion). I actually think the idea of what exactly is appropriate when it comes to having friends of the opposite sex very interesting. I had a hard time because I couldn't see where the story was going. I'm not sure how to articulate myself very well here, but the plot wasn't very...followable. I like to know somewhat where the story is going when I'm reading it.

Overall, it was an interesting and entertaining enough read, but I won't read it again.

3 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. This was also my least favorite Shannon Hale novel. I thought it had some extremely funny parts in it, but the questionable morality was a turn-off to me.

    ReplyDelete