Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

This was another recommendation from my friend. I knew I'd love this book just from the title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. How can you not love a book with such an awesome title??

Written in letters, this story is set at the end of World War 2 on a little island off the coast of England called Guernsey. Juliet Ashton, a writer, receives a letter from a stranger in Guernsey and they strike up a friendship. He writes her of the German occupation of their island during the war and how their literary society came to be and how it bonded the islanders together during a difficult time. Juliet is so intrigued by their stories that she decides to write a book on the experiences of her new Guernsey friends.

What I loved most about this book were the characters. Other books I've read written in this style (letters or journal entries) have come off as disjointed and choppy and unrelatable. It can be hard to care about the story without a constant storyline, which is what made me appreciate this book even more. I was able to pick out small details in the writing and try to draw my own conclusions between the characters, hope and guess about potential romances, in different ways from traditional novels. I loved the main character, Juliet. She has gumption. And I absolutely fell in love with the people of Guernsey and their stories. I felt like they became my friends and I cared about what happened in their lives. There is one character, Elizabeth, whom everyone speaks about but Juliet never actually gets to meet, and yet by the end of the book, you feel as though you know her and care about her better than anyone else. I learned that they are making this book into a movie in the next year or so and Kate Winslet is supposed to play Juliet. I adore Kate Winslet and think she'd be a perfect cast.

I definitely recommend this one!!

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment