Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson

I think I read Blackmoore back in January or so, and details are definitely fuzzy! I have got to stay on top of these book reviews!! I have read exactly one other book by Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke, which is spectacular. One of the few books (ever) that I have read back-to-back just because I wanted to savor it a little more. Blackmoore, while definitely a good read, wasn't quite as good.

Our star is Kate, a young Regency woman who knows she will never marry and dreams of escaping to India with her aunt. Her mother, however, has other plans. They strike a bargain in which Kate will be allowed to go to India only after she has received and declined 3 marriage proposals. To help her in this achievement, Kate gets the help of her long-time best friend Henry. However, problems come up when she realizes she just might be in love with him... Now how will she ever get to India??

Blackmoore is a real page-turner; I couldn't put it down and finished within a day or so. I really grew to care about Kate. She has the misfortune of being stuck with a truly horrible family, particularly her mother. She's desperate to go to India and avoid marriage because the only examples of marriage she's seen are from her mother (who is completely unrespectable in every way) and her older sister (who scandalously ran off with some guy). When she realizes she might have feelings for her friend, instead of acting on them, she does what she thinks is best for him and his situation and locks her heart away. I respect her for making hard choices and trying to do what she thinks is right. She was dealt some significant difficulties and, in my opinion, rose to the occasion. She gets a really great happy ending, though it was a little different from what I had expected.

Definitely a great read. Fast, enjoyable, and feel-good. You might need tissues handy as well, if I remember correctly... :)

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment