Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

I read this one back in January so a lot of the details are kind of fuzzy. I heard about Labor Day from a list of books that were being made into movies in 2014. From the synopsis, I thought this sounded like my kind of book: lonely single mom meets a handsome escaped criminal, a bit of romance, add a splash of danger, mix it up with a mother-son family relationship, and you have a potentially great story. Sadly, things didn't play out like I hoped they would.

First off, the whole book is told from the perspective of the 13-year old son, which immediately eliminates any possibility of experiencing the falling-in-love aspect that drew me to the story in the first place. It's not like I'm looking for steamy romance or anything (I'd read cheap romance novels if that's what I was hoping for), but I like to be inside the head of the person falling in love. Hear their thoughts and feel their emotions. Without that, what's the point??

So, given the fact that the entirety of the story is viewed through the male 13-year-old lenses, it wasn't a bad book. The characters were decent; you quickly grow to care for the escaped convict and hope for the happiest of endings for him and the mother, and the son is fairly relatable. I mostly was just disappointed because I had high hopes for a really juicy and satisfying love story and it certainly wasn't that. Ah well...maybe the movie version will spice things up a bit. After all, it does star Kate Winslet and she's amazing.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment