Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Beyonders series by Brandon Mull

Jason and Rachel, middle-school-aged strangers from Washington and Colorado, find themselves in a mysterious new world, Lyrian. They learn that they have been summoned as heroes with the potential to save Lyrian, which has nearly been conquered by ruthless Emperor Maldor. Feeling under-qualified and far from anyone's hero, Jason and Rachel embark on a perilous quest that could either lead to their own destruction or save the world.

I very much enjoyed this adventure. I love Brandon Mull's Fablehaven books; Beyonders is similar in the fantasy and magic but written for a slightly more mature audience, which I liked. Throughout the series I was somewhat skeptical of how Jason, a completely average 13-year old kid, could save Lyrian; it seemed a little far-fetched. However, by the end, I was won over and actually inspired by how a normal, even unremarkable, person can effect change for the better. It doesn't take a powerful person to have a positive impact on the world around them. This should be a lesson for everyone to not sit idly through life; take a stand and change your world for the better! Anywho, I'll get off my soapbox, but I liked how Mull's characters were relatable, everyday people who have the courage to do what's right. Really the only negative I have with these books is about the pace of the story, which seemed to drag at times. Overall, fun, adventurous stories that both kids and adults will enjoy!

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment