Monday, March 23, 2015

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

I've started going to a book club. It's about time, considering my life-long love of good books. Talking to people about my favorite reads is always so satisfying. Last month we read this interesting book, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. It's about a techie guy who got laid off in Silicon Valley and gets a job in a dusty old bookstore with very few customers. He works the night shift and probably should have expected strange things to happen since what normal bookstore is open 24 hours? He puts his tech skills to use and documents his customers, who they are, what they are like, and most importantly, what they leave with, all using a fancy algorithm on his computer. He notices a pattern and begins to uncover hints of a secret society that seems to be full of eccentric bookworms seeking the secret to eternal life.

This was a cool story that explored the rift between new technology and digital books versus old print. I wasn't sure how to predict what was going to happen as I was reading because it was all a little strange, but in a good way. I've always thought it would be fun to work in a library or a used bookstore, just to be surrounded by books all the time. Books have magic and I can feel it more potently in the company of dusty volumes. This story definitely made me wish I had a part-time used bookstore gig.

Overall, fun story. Kinda different; a good mix of mystery, friendship, and commentary on technology. Also, the cover glows in the dark, which was somewhat alarming the first time I had it next to my bed at night, but also very cool. Definitely would recommend!

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment