Monday, March 23, 2015

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Another book chosen by my book club, Esperanza Rising is set in the 1920's and 30's, post-Revolutionary Mexico and the Great Depression in California. After 13-year-old Esperanza's wealthy father is killed and her home burns down in a mysterious fire, she and her mother must flee Mexico to escape a dangerous and powerful uncle. They go to California with a few friends and get jobs as farm workers. Many workers feel that their conditions are unlivable and strike for better wages. Esperanza and her family, and many others, are too frightened to strike because they don't want to lose their jobs to the people coming from Oklahoma who will work for less. During this period of many transitions, Esperanza must forget about the life of luxury she would have had before her father's death, and learn how to work hard and take care of her family.

This was an interesting story for me. I grew up in California and there is still today lots of bias and prejudice toward the Mexican community. I enjoyed reading about Esperanza's experience and really getting in to her side of the story. I also really liked how the chapters were all divided by the seasons and the produce they were harvesting at the time. It was fun to brush up on some Spanish words that I haven't heard since high school. Anyway, good read!

4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. After reading a bit of your blog a few weeks ago, I checked this one out of the library and finished it a couple days ago. I loved it! It reminded me of times when we've driven to LA and seen migrant workers picking veggies and such in the fields. I enjoyed reading the story!

    ReplyDelete