Friday, July 12, 2013

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage


I've recently joined a new book club. I haven't actually been able to attend any of the meetings yet but I'm trying to read the books anyway. One of these months I'm convinced I'll be able to make it. Two months ago the assigned book was "Magyk" by Angie Sage. Little did I know that I was checking out the first of seven books in the series. If I'd known it would be such a commitment I'm not sure I would have taken the plunge.

How does one sum up an entire 7-book series?? I'm not so sure I'm up to the task but I'll do my best. The series has been compared to Harry Potter, targeted toward children and young adults, but aside from magic, I don't think they have much else in common. Septimus Heap is the seventh son of a seventh son, which, in the magical world, is very rare and means he is born with great magical power. As an infant he was stolen from his parents by agents of an evil and powerful magician, intended to become a dark apprentice, but through a mix-up, ended up in an army for kids with no knowledge of his true identity. The story brings him back to his family ten years later and Septimus begins his study of magic as the apprentice to the top wizard, Marcia Overstrand. Throughout the books Septimus fights evil alongside his adoptive sister, Princess Jenna (heir to the throne), best friend Beetle, and several of his Heap brothers.

Some of the books in this series were really good, others were kind of lame. One major problem I had with the series as a whole was that there was no overarching theme, dilemma, or objective to tie all seven books together. They could be grouped in pairs, trios, and singles: books 1+2, books 3+4+5, book 6, book 7. I think it desperately needed something to unify the series. In Harry Potter, Lord Voldemort pops up everywhere to create an epic battle at the end, culminating the efforts of the previous 6 books. Lord of the Rings has evil Lord Sauron and the Ring to keep the heroes busy throughout the trilogy. A series of this length needs something to unify the story, and poor Septimus just didn't have it.

Also I felt that the author went on a lot of boring and useless tangents. I had to skim read a lot, which I hate because it wastes my time. I shouldn't have to skim to get to the good parts. It's annoying.

I thought the characters were really fun. I loved Septimus and his best friend Beetle. By book 7 I had a little girl crush on Beetle. He's adorable. I liked how magic was presented and that it was different from HP.

Overall I enjoyed the series but there were definitely some flaws. Perhaps it would be enjoyed more by kids.  This was a fun read but long, so only start if you're willing to see it through. Starts a little slow but it picks up as you go.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment