Monday, June 17, 2013

Matched trilogy by Ally Condie


I've had these books on my to-read list for a long, long time. At first I waited to read them because Reached, the final installment of the trilogy, wasn't published yet. Then I waited because there were 50+ holds on Reached at the library. Once the hold list got under 30 I decided I was tired of waiting and I was going to get started.

This trilogy has a typical dystopian setting, set in the future after society has fallen and a new Society has emerged. In the Society everyone is Matched with their ideal partner, disease is a thing of the past, and everyone is a contributing member to society. In the first book, Cassia is Matched with Xander, her best friend, but she is having feelings for Ky. Shouldn't she have the right to choose who she loves? In Crossed, book 2, Cassia has joined the rebellion and is working to bring down the Society. In Reached, the Society has fallen and Cassia, Xander, and Ky all have to work together to find a cure to a mutated disease that threatens to destroy the life they've been working for.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about these books. Considering all the hype I heard, they weren't as good as I was expecting, but they were still worth reading. Entertaining, but not great. I feel like the love triangle theme is way overused in young adult fiction so I wasn't too happy about the Cassia, Ky, Xander situation, even though it all works out in the end. I was also annoyed by how much Ky and Xander adored Cassia. She's a nice girl and all but she's kind of an idiot. It's hard to love a series when you don't respect the main character.

Overall, I think these were entertaining books and an enjoyable read, but don't expect an amazingly original storyline, because you won't get it.

3 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I gave up half-way through Crossed. Matched was good but I just wasn't getting into it after that.

    ReplyDelete