Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Children of the Promise series by Dean Hughes


I wish I could have found a better picture of these books because I absolutely love the cover art for each one. These are some of my favorite books. I first read them when I was in high school and fell in love with the Thomas family. I have since read them a few times all the way through.

Children of the Promise follows a family, the Thomases, through World War 2. We learn of the experiences of a paratrooper fighting in Europe, a prisoner of war in the Philippines, a nurse in the navy, a German family fleeing their country, and life at home during the war.

One thing I really love about these books is how historically accurate they are. Dean Hughes did a ton of research when writing and I liked knowing that the circumstances surrounding the fictional characters were true. As someone who gets bored extremely quickly when it comes to history, I'm always excited when I find entertaining ways to learn about the past, particularly a war as interesting/disturbing as WW2. There is also a strong Christian influence in these stories which I find uplifting, though I think it's fair to warn someone who might not be expecting religious books. There are some bits that get a little cheesy but overall I find the story to be inspiring, entertaining, and educational. I definitely would recommend these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment