Monday, June 30, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

It's been a few weeks since I read this delightful book so some of the details may be sketchy. This was recommended by my good friend, a recommendation for which I am grateful because otherwise I probably would never have found this story. I love getting good suggestions from people so if any of you readers have a book you loved I want to hear about it!

Bernadette is an eccentric, middle-aged woman living in Seattle with her husband and daughter, Bee. Her husband is a big shot working at Microsoft and their daughter attends a small private school. Bernadette is a famous architect, though she hasn't worked in years, since before they moved to Seattle. She hates Seattle, all the parents of the kids at Bee's school, and her neighbors, and pretty much everything about life at the moment, except for her family. One day, after a confrontation with her husband and a shrink, Bernadette goes missing. This book is a compilation of letter, emails, observations, and journal entries, all put together by Bee in an effort to find her mother.

I very much enjoyed this book. It was different; the characters were all interesting, Bernadette is especially endearing, and the method with which the story is told was refreshing. There were parts that rambled on a bit long and lost my attention, but for the most part this was a very fun read!

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment