Monday, June 30, 2014

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

This was a very cool book. My husband is obsessed with Brandon Sanderson's work but I've always been a little intimidated by them, mostly because the books are all absolutely gigantic and teeny tiny print. I couldn't imagine really getting into them. But my sister in law recommended this one and she and I have pretty similar tastes in literature so I thought I'd give it a try. Boy am I glad I did because Steelheart is fantastic!!

Sadly, it's the first of (I believe) a trilogy so there are plenty of loose ends at the finish. Typically I won't start a series that isn't already finished because there's nothing worse than cliffhangers when you don't have the next book handy. Thankfully, this one wraps things up enough so you're not out-of-your-mind-crazy for the next one, but still want more.

Brief synopsis: People have been gifted with powers that turn them evil and they become the rulers of the world; they're called Epics. One particularly powerful and evil Epic is Steelheart, who has turned the area previously known as Chicago into his domain. Steelheart is supposed to be impossible to hurt, let alone kill, but David, an 18 year old, is the lone witness in the destruction of a bank where he was wounded. David, convinced he can discover how to kill Steelheart and get revenge for his father's death, seeks out the Reckoners, a group of rebels who kill Epics whenever they can. Together he knows they can fight to end Steelheart's grip on the city.

This was certainly a page-turner, jam packed with action with a healthy dose of humor. Can't wait for the sequel!

4.5 out of 5 stars

1 comment: