Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Sweetheart Deal by Polly Dugan

I recently got to take a solo trip to my home town in California for the wedding of an old friend. The most exciting part about this trip was the solo part--no kids! No husband either, so that was a bummer, but it was nice to be able to just focus on myself and do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Plus I did a bunch of stuff all weekend that my husband would have no desire to do, like visit all my old schools and drive past my old house and neighborhoods and visit old friends. He'd have been bored to tears. In any case, one thing I was most excited about was my flight. Being alone, I would be able to read in the airport and on the plane and actually be able to focus on my book. I wanted the perfect book for a mom's weekend away. I chose The Sweetheart Deal by Polly Dugan.

This is a partial description listed on Amazon: Leo has long joked that, in the event of his death, he wants his best friend Garrett, a lifelong bachelor, to marry his wife, Audrey. One drunken night, he goes so far as to make Garrett promise to do so. Then, twelve years later, Leo, a veteran firefighter, dies in a skiing accident.

This little blurb sums up the book fairly well. Sounds like there's tons of potential, right?? I figured this would be the perfect story of re-falling-in-love for me to read on my weekend alone. Unfortunately, the book happens exactly how you might think it would happen after reading the short book description. There was exactly zero surprise or sense of thrill because it was so, so predictable. In theory, the idea for this story is great. I was really excited to read this book, but ultimately it was a disappointment. It might be a good read if you are looking for something easy to read by the side of the pool on vacation, just don't expect a whole lot.

2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment