Friday, April 8, 2011

Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This was another book club book. I really don't have too much to say about it because even though it was fun, it didn't have a whole lot of substance. It was a page turner and I was hooked from the beginning, but now, weeks later, I don't remember very much. I think that alone speaks volumes about the book.

This was basically a Twilight remake where the girl is a witch who is coming in to her powers and coming of age. Upon her 16th birthday she will either turn light or dark. If she goes light, all the dark members of her family will die, and if she goes dark then the light family members will die. She is tormented and searching for a way to prevent killing off half her family all while maintaining a relationship with a boy she met at school. The story is told from the boy's point of view, which I actually really liked. I thought the guy was a really good character--realistic (he definitely had his flaws), relatable, and had a good sense of morals.

The sequel was like the first in that it was a page turner and didn't have much substance. Fun, exciting, easy, very entertaining, but not much to it. It was like the authors wrote these books with the purpose of making a movie afterward. The irritating part about the first story was that it had all of this intense build up to one event and then right at the end a random, unseen conflict comes up and the build up isn't even relevant anymore. The main problem just gets postponed for the sequel and you feel like you're starting the first book over again. It was kind of annoying. The sequel is just as entertaining as the first with purposeful cliffhangers to keep you reading. I enjoyed my read and will probably (if I even remember the series) read the next 2 sequels when they come out. Or not. We'll see.

I can recommend this series if you want a quick and cheaply entertaining story. It's very Twilight-esque but (in my opinion) not as good. Fun and easy read.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment