Friday, April 8, 2011

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

I have been horribly neglectful of my poor blog. I have read several books since last updating and I am resolved to blog about each of them. In order to do so I will have to make each post fairly short, which I don't think anyone would complain about.

To be honest, I never actually finished this book and I read it over a month ago so I don't remember a whole lot. This book, Stiff, by Mary Roach, was chosen by my book club. I only got about half-way through, but not because it wasn't interesting. This was a fascinating book that talks about the many diverse uses of cadavers and their importance in research and modern science. I think my favorite chapter talked about how cadavers are used in crash tests to improve car safety designs. We have cadavers to thank for giving doctors surgery practice, forensic scientists' knowledge of the various stages of decomposition to aid in identifying cause and time of death, and safer cars, along with many other things that I don't remember or didn't get to read about yet.

The author was witty and interesting. Even though I'm usually more of a fiction/novel girl, this was a very interesting non-fiction read.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment