Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp

The hills are alive with the sound of muuuuusiiiiic! (ahhh ah ah ahhhhh)

Ok, so we've all seen the movie "The Sound of Music" about the Trapp family during the beginning of World War II. The songs have become so famous that all children know the solfegge song about do the deer and ti going with jam and bread. This beloved movie is based on the true story of Maria von Trapp and her family. This book was chosen by my book club and, while I didn't actually finish it, I would definitely recommend this story to everyone.

I think my favorite thing about the book is Maria: she is hilarious in telling how she meets Captain Von Trapp and the children and their travels and trials throughout the world. I think she would have been a very fun person to know in real life.

There were a lot of differences between the book and the movie. The movie ends after their very dramatic exit from Austria and infuses extra love stories and drama to make it more exciting. (I kept waiting for the romance between Liesl and that 16-year-old boy she liked. That particular story never came...) The book continues on for years after they leave Austria and tells of their musical group performing concert tours all across Europe and eventually in America.

I never made it to the end of the book but that was because I didn't finish in time for my book club meeting and then I got caught up in reading other books. This was an entertaining and very interesting book that provides years of information more than what the movie shows. I would definitely recommend to anyone interested in the World War II period or the Sound of Music.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment